Thursday, May 1, 2008

Can you answer my question without using vowels?

My favorite question coming from TV's talking heads in recent days is: "Do you think that Obama will be able to get past this Jeremiah Wright issue?"

I'm wondering how many newspeople have to be asking the question at precisely the same moment to create an irony field so dense that a not even light can escape its gravity. The correct answer to that is, of course, "Apparently not during this question; let's try the next one." But here's what happens:

Newsguy/gal: Jeremiah Wright's latest comments have fanned the flames of controversy again. Mildred Townsend Harper-Machiavelli, a Clinton Supporter, joins us now. Mildred, do you think Obama can get past this?

Mildred: "Well, Americans understand that they will need to choose a leader with the experience to..." (recites talking points until the audience enters a communal coma).

Newsguy/gal: Also with us is GOP strategist Reggie "Chip" Bender. What do you say, Chip?

Chip: Well, I think Americans saw this coming. Every Democrat is a tax-and-spend liberal elitist who is out of touch with mainstream values. Obama is more pinko than all the rest of them combined. I mean, you saw him bowl. He sips his wine and has thoughts about things and doesn't festoon himself with flag pins and stuff like that.

Newsguy/gal: Isn't about half of America made up of Democrats? Wouldn't their values contribute to the "mainstream"? Besides, when was the last time you drank a Schlitz and went bowling? Also, do you have any points that are not on bumper stickers?

Chip: What?

Newsguy/gal: Sorry, I lost my head. I mean: do you think there is any truth to the report Obama likes to fantasize about Louis Farrakhan in S&M gear? I should point out that QNN was not able to independently verify that report, but we're still happy to pass it on.

Random Obama supporter: I'd like to talk about the ridiculous gas-tax holiday gimmick that McCain and Clinton are pushing to make it appear that they're doing something. I think Americans should know....

Mildred: Isn't that sweet! I'd love to hear you talk while I shake my head condescendingly and wear a sad little smile to show how misguided you are, but I had some more talking points I really need to cover dealing with Hillary's being fully vetted.

Newsguy/gal: I'm so sorry, but we're out of time. I'll be back tomorrow with a brand-new eight-part series called "Do you think Obama can get past this?" Coming up next, Jackson Hunter 720, with his feature on "Do you think Obama can get past this?".

No comments: